Friday, 29 March 2013

tips for losing weight

This is going to be like a lifestyle post and not really related to beauty/fashion. For the past month and a half or so, I've been trying to lose weight and tone up my body for the summer seeing as I am going on sunny holiday with my best friends in July and I'm pretty sure we'll be wearing bikinis/swimsuits half the time. So I'm just going to share some of what I've been doing to be more healthy and lose fat.
  1. Do fun exercise that isn't monotonous. I think what I hated about exercise is that it can be so boring and repetitive which just made me not want to bother at all. But I've fallen in love with Just Dance for the wii, it is my method of exercise. I play Just Dance 3 at least 4 times a week, always trying to beat my high scores and it really makes you work up a sweat if you put a lot of effort into your dancing. Apparently an hour of Just Dance (about 15-17 songs) can burn about 350 calories! For my toning and strength training, I do pilates watching Blogilates on Youtube, it's free and she has sooo many great videos!
  2. Cut down/completely get rid of the "bad" foods out of your diet. This has to be the hardest for me, if you know me you'll know that I have such a sweet tooth, I'm literally in love with sweets. So I've made a calender in which I cross out the days I've gone without buying sweets and without buying crisps. I originally gave up crisps for lent, so I've lasted 6 weeks without crisps so far and surprisingly I'm not missing them at all. I've only done 2 weeks without sweets though, something I have realised is that sweets are evil to your body, the refined excess sugar is what gives you that pouch of fat at the bottom of your tummy :(
  3. Pay more attention to what you put in your mouth. Myfitnesspal is website and mobile app on the iPhone in which you calorie count basically, it has a huge database with pretty much every brand and food out there and you just input what you eat on a daily basis. Although it's not particularly good to obsess over your calorie intake, it's good for seeing how many grams of sugar and saturated fats you are having each day and it might surprise you how it all adds up, like it did me.
  4. Don't weigh yourself too often. I think it's important to know that the lbs aren't just going to drop off straight away, it's important to be patient. Muscle also weighs more than fat, so as you're burning fat you could be gaining muscle and so you're weight is more likely to remain the same. I think your appearance is more of what counts, look at the inches.
  5. Don't snack too much and drink lots of water. I had a tendency to snack whenever I felt hungry. Stupidly I was mistaking what I thought was 'hunger' and it was actually thirst, so now whenever I think I'm hungry I drink like a glass of water first and then see how I feel.
  6. Have a cheat day from time to time. It's all well and good healthy eating but for me the less "bad" food I eat, the more I absolutely crave food like pizza, KFC, cake and McDonalds, so like once a week I let myself have a cheat day, just in order to stay sane :)
So far I've lost 4.7kg which is 10lbs and I've lost an inch of my tummy and an inch and a half off my hips. I am kind of plateauing at the moment though, my weight dropped pretty quickly at first but now it's more gradual which I don't mind. 
My goal is to lose 3.3kg more meaning I would've lost 1.25 stone in total.

bloglovin | instagram | tumblr

8 comments :

  1. These are really good, helpful tips! Well done on losing 10lbs :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also on my weightloss mission :-D They tips are great and OMG Im already using my fitness pal ;) Great going girl x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah good luck with your journey! :D and thank you xxx

      Delete
  3. thanks for all these awesome tips on how to lose weight! i agree with #1 -- i'm trying to find an exercise routine that won't be monotonous and boring. ;)

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/
    Win a pair of Saltwater Sandals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so difficult isn't it, I recommend a dance kind of exercise such as Zumba maybe :) xxx

      Delete
  4. Great tips for getting us in the mood for summer!

    I really like your blog. Now following you on GFC. Would mean a lot if you could have a peek at my blog ;) who knows, even follow if you like it? =D

    Looking forward to your next post xx

    http://scholarlifestyle.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. you give great weight loss advice! i love it, im trying to lose weight now cause im super unhappy with my weight. thanks so much for the advice, really helpful! also please come check out my blog! i've just started! its a blog about beauty, fashion and life xox

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment :-) xo